Cleaning your utensils is one of the inevitable tasks you will have to do every time you prepare a meal. The best rice cookers can be very convenient in helping you quickly bring your rice to boil and simmer. However, you must clean the cooker thoroughly if you plan to continue using it. Fortunately, cleaning a rice cooker is relatively easy and does not differ much from other utensil cleaning procedures. If you are looking for information on how to clean a rice cooker, then these simple steps will help you finish the process within a few minutes.
- Unplug your cooker and empty its contents: This is a no brainer; you need to unplug your rice cooker and let it cool before you start cleaning. Empty all the rice and other food that is in the cooker.
- Cleaning the inner pot: Once all the food is out of the way, take out the inner pot from the main cooker and soak it inside warm water mixed with soap. Let it soak for a minute or so and then rinse it dry using a cloth. Wash all the accompanying utensils (spatula, measuring cup…) using hot water and soap. Rinse clean and dry them with a towel.
- Cleaning the lid: If your cooker comes with a hooked lid, clean using a sponge. Use hot water and soap to sponge down the inside surface and rinse using a sponge and clean water. Dry using a towel. If the lid is detachable or unattached, wash it together with the other accompanying utensils.
- Airing: Once you have cleaned all the items, let the pot and utensils dry out for around 30 minutes and then use a damp cloth to wipe the exterior surface of the pot.
- Cleaning tough stains: To remove tough stains that won’t come out with soapy water alone, spray some surface/glass cleaner on a paper towel and use it to wipe off the stain. Remember not to spray the cleaner directly on the pot to prevent it from getting inside. This is a very important point to note while cleaning the rice cooker.
- Removing burnt grains: If some rice or gain is burnt and stuck on the hot plate, you can use a sandpaper to rub it off. It is important to make sure the hot plate is clean and smooth to allow total contact with the internal pot. This results in even heat distribution.
These how to clean a rice cooker steps will leave you with a clean dry sparkling rice cooker ready for your next meal preparation.
When cleaning your rice cooker, use warm water at all times including when rinsing. This helps to kill off germs and also makes the stuck food lose giving you an easy time when scrubbing them off. Never use sharp cleaning equipment that can cause scratches on the pot or utensils as this will not only interfere with the cooking process, but will also make your next leaning very difficult when the food particles burn into the scratch lines formed. Also remember to clean your rice cooker after every use to prevent over-scrubbing.